Information for Current Visiting Scholars
The following are campus privileges and courtesies for current Visiting Scholars
Visiting scholars are entitled to receive an Affiliate Campus Card ID. Please follow these directions to receive a card:
- Department support personnel are responsible for providing a completed Campus Card Request form to the Visiting Scholar
- The fee for the card is $15 and can either be paid by index number by the Department or by the visiting scholar. If the scholar is paying the fee, they should go to the Central Cashier’s Office, located on the ground floor of the Student Service Center (map), to make the $15 payment. Note: The Cashier’s Office accepts personal checks and cash payments only
- The scholar should take the completed Campus Card Request form to Student Business Service (SBS). See the location and hours for the SBS Campus Card Office.
- The scholar should take the following with them to the SBS Campus Card Office:
- Completed Campus Card Request form
- The $15 fee receipt from the Cashier’s Office if the fee was paid by the scholar. Otherwise, ensure that an index number is provided on the Campus Card Request form
- One of the following photo IDs:
- Valid driver’s license
- State identification card
- To avoid a long wait, check peak times before visiting SBS Campus Card Office
- Department HR personnel are responsible for retrieving the ID card at the end of the visiting scholar’s visit
There are many discounts available to visiting scholars that they can obtain with the use of their Affiliate Campus Card ID. The list includes discounts from the Box Office, Bookstore, Food, Lodging, Retail, and many more.
Visiting Scholars may receive e-mail service from the sponsoring department or centrally from Administrative Computing & Telecommunications (ACT). The Visiting Scholar should contact the department HR personnel or IT support person for information on the services from the sponsoring department.
If your department uses the central e-mail services provided by ACT, see how to open an account:
- In many departments, the system administrator creates e-mail accounts. Please see that person first if your department has such a contact.
- If your department doesn't have a designated person to assist the scholar with a new e-mail account, they can obtain an account at the combined ACMS/ ACT Help Desk during business hours. The scholar should bring their UCSD Affiliate ID card. If the scholar doesn’t have a Campus ID card, they should bring a picture ID and a letter on university letterhead from your department, confirming their affiliation.
Visiting scholars are entitled to the use of all libraries on campus and their Affiliate Campus ID Card functions as the library card. For more information on the various libraries, visit the UCSD library page on Blink.
In order for a visiting scholar to receive library access, the department must provide a letter addressed to The University Library. A sample letter is below:
Date : _________________
TO: The University Library
FROM: Name of HR Contact
Title of HR Contact
Phone Extension Email Address
SUBJECT: Library Privileges for ___Name of Visiting Scholar_______________________
Name of Visiting Scholar is a Visiting Scholar in Department Name from _____/_____/____ through ______/______/_____. During this time s/he would like to be able to check out materials from the University Library.
The departmental index number to be used is _____________. Please contact me if you have should have any questions.
Note: The departmental index number is only used in case of damage or for a book that is not returned to the library.
Visiting scholars are eligible to purchase monthly B parking permits for the numerous parking areas and garages on the main campus as well as the medical campuses. For more information, please visit the Parking Permits website on Blink. A campus affiliate ID card is required to purchase a permit.
UCSD’s extensive transportation system serves the UCSD campus, medical centers and key points off campus and is free to Visiting Scholars. To board show your campus ID to the driver on request. Reference the shuttle service website for more details.
Visiting Scholars are eligible to purchase the ECO Regional Transit Pass that provides access to all regular MTS buses and the San Diego Trolley at a discounted rate. With ECO Pass, Visiting Scholars have a commuting alternative that provides more options for getting around San Diego. ECO Pass can be used in the evenings, and on holidays and weekends, to get wherever the Visiting Scholar needs to go. For more information, please visit the Eco Pass website on Blink.
There are numerous housing options available to Visiting Scholars:
- Visit the International Center Housing website for short and long-term on and off campus housing options
- The Guest Suite at The Village is an option for housing
- Market Comparison Report of apartment complexes in the vicinity of UCSD
Contact the sponsoring department HR personnel for other housing options.
Visiting Scholars may be granted use of laboratory and other University facilities at the discretion of the departments involved. In many departments, however, space is limited and offices cannot be provided.
Visiting Scholars may audit courses and seminars with the consent of the Professor or instructor. No academic credit is given.
If the scholar wishes to take regular University courses for credit, they may enroll through the University Extension’s Concurrent Enrollment Program. http://extension.ucsd.edu/About/index.cfm?vAction=concurrent
Visiting scholars are eligible to become members and use the services of the UCSD Faculty Club. There is a $25 initiation fee and dues of $14 a month for single membership and $16 for a family membership.
Visiting scholars are eligible to purchase a UC San Diego Recreation Card, Day Pass or Monthly Pass to access the facilities. The Recreation Card, Day Pass or Monthly Pass must be presented at the RIMAC Facility Access Desk, The Main Gym Weight Room, The Main Gym Equipment Room Desk (for access to the Main Gym Locker Rooms), or the Canyonview Aquatic Complex Facilities Access Desk to gain access to the facilities. The Recreation website provides more information on recreational programs at UCSD.
For more information or questions, please contact the sponsoring department HR personnel.