Chancellor’s Postdoctoral Scholar Award
UC San Diego strives to promote postdoctoral scholars that embody the mission and high standards of this university. This award recognizes postdoctoral scholars who conduct outstanding research, exhibit leadership, mentorship and service as he/she progresses toward a defined career. Postdoctoral scholars are individuals who have recently completed a doctoral degree and, under the oversight of a faculty mentor, continue research training in preparation for a career in academe, industry, government, or the nonprofit sector.
The award recognizes a postdoctoral scholar who:
- Excels in research by displaying intellectual merit, ethical conduct, professional behavior and the ability to demonstrate research innovation and productivity (i.e. scholarly distinctions, publications, presentations, inventions, performances, products, etc.) as well as the nominee’s research having a significant impact on the field and/or society.
- Assumes a leadership role by preparing manuscripts, funding applications, organizing workshops or conferences, and mentorship by advising graduate and undergraduate students.
- Shows a strong service record by volunteering in campus, professional and/or other organizations.
- The nominee must be a UC San Diego Postdoctoral Scholar with at least one year of UC San Diego postdoctoral experience (at time of award) under the mentorship of UC San Diego faculty member(s). The nomination of the postdoctoral scholar can be given only by the faculty mentor or self-nomination.
- The nomination must include a letter of support from the faculty mentor(s) (unless nominated by the mentor) and be endorsed by the Department Chair. The faculty mentor should list the number of postdoctoral scholars that he/she has supervised and how the nominee ranks among them.
- Nomination statement should be 1-2 pages and demonstrate the postdoctoral scholar’s excellence in research at UC San Diego and contribution to the betterment of society based on the supporting evidence in the nomination package and why the postdoctoral scholar merits the distinction this award represents.
- Two endorsements are required and may be from other postdoctoral scholars, graduate students, undergraduate students and colleagues that have been mentored by the nominee as well as UC San Diego campus, professional and/or volunteer organizations that the nominee has or currently serves.
- Current curriculum vitae (CV) for the postdoctoral scholar nominee (with postdoctoral appointment history, i.e. locations, dates and mentors). The CV should include awards, honors, publications, presentations, inventions, performances, etc., as well as professional memberships, volunteer organizations and relevant activities. Accomplishments achieved while a postdoctoral scholar at UC San Diego should be highlighted.
Nomination materials should be assembled by the principal nominator in either digital or paper form. The nomination packet should be submitted:
- Electronically to the Office Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholars at email@example.com and cc’s each endorser/co-nominator and department chair. All documents should be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
- Via UC San Diego internal mail to:
Postdoctoral Scholar Award
Office of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar Affairs
Mail Code 0043
A complete nomination packet should include:
- Nomination Form completed by the faculty mentor or postdoctoral scholar, which must be endorsed by the Department Chair.
- Letter of support from faculty mentor(s), unless faculty mentor is nominating the postdoctoral scholar.
- Nomination statement completed by the nominator (1-2 pages) explaining how and why the nominee is an outstanding postdoctoral scholar by demonstrating his/her excellence in research and active role in the advancement of society.
- Current curriculum vitae for postdoctoral scholar .
- Two endorsements for the nominee.
Click here for: Postdoc Nomination Form
Selection Process and Criteria:
Applications will be reviewed by an internal selection committee composed of Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, Director of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar Affairs, faculty and postdoctoral scholar. Awardees will be selected by the Vice Chancellor for Research based upon recommendation of this committee.
Ceremony and Award:
Each Postdoctoral Scholar Award recipient will receive $1000 to promote his/her development toward a career path. The recipient will receive an engraved plaque and congratulatory letter from Chancellor Khosla. Also, the recipient will be honored on additional plaque that will reside in the Office of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar Affairs.
The recipients will be recognized at the 2013 Postdoctoral Scholar Appreciation Lunch on Friday, September 13, 2013, in Price Center Ballroom B, following the Postdoctoral Research Symposium in Price Center Ballroom A and B. The postdoctoral scholar(s) and faculty mentor(s) are expected to attend the ceremony.
Awardees will be notified by September 1, 2013.
For questions, please contact Ginger Hazen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 822-5915.